SNL bounces back after last week’s rough episode with Chris Hemsworth’s mostly strong showing.
I’m on the west coast this week, so I managed to not actually watch Saturday Night Live live. Yep, here it’s just the pre-taped version of whatever happened on the east coast hours before, although I think nothing’s been edited out. After last week’s oddly laugh-less episode with Dakota Johnson that at least tried to make up with some technical panache, it was nice to have a return to form from Chris Hemsworth. Hemsworth brought an affability and a game-ness that felt like a nice fit with the show.
What You Missed:
Hilary Cold Open
Kate McKinnon’s Hilary isn’t quite Amy Poehler’s, but there’s a wonderful intensity to her take on the former first lady/secretary of state/senator.
“Congratulations on your continued marriage success.”
Chris Hemsworth Monologue
All of the Hemsworth brothers coming together was nice in this monologue. Keenan can barely do an Australian accent, but this was still a nice break from the usual musical monologue.
Okay, this was a nice twist on the usual AmEx ads that have been running.
Brother 2 Brother
I am always down for a Disney Channel parody, and this nailed the beats. Especially when it immediately went off the rails. That said, the joke went a little too far over the “funny -> not funny -> funny again” cycle and was pushing it.
I haven’t watched any of Empire, you guys. But I’m going to assume it’s exactly like this?
The Iggy Azalea Show
Kate NAILS the difference between Iggy’s Australian and Southern rap cadences. Sasheer did a good job as Azalea Banks. Chris was game as Iggy’s brother, but this was mostly another sketch to bring in Kate’s ability to do an Australian accent (see also: the monologue)
- Michael Che’s run at the top about the recently released Ferguson statistics was nice
- “But the good news is: the pilot didn’t even spill his drink.”
- Leslie Jones’ monologues are always welcome in my book, but this one was a little less focused than usual
- The run on Dr. Ben Carson was fantastic and reminded me of the Seth and Amy days.
- Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started A Conversation With At A Party!!! “I’m bringing democracy to Syria! Via Instagram!”
Avengers News Report
This news-report take on The Avengers post-fight was fantastic, especially withe various takes on The Hulk not realizing what he’s don and Captain America focused on everyone’s safety.
I am here for every Good Neighbor sketch, especially one applying reality show tropes to an everyday scene.
Dolce and Gabbana
I love the Shuboski Cryssuls girls so much, you guys, and they’ve been spacing them out enough this season so that they don’t outstay their welcome. Here they are shilling for Dolky and Gababba Fragrances.
- “Adios a sea ghost!”1 “I reamed a donkey!”
- “What’s that thing where you press it and it sprays out?” “Prostate!”
- “So when someone asks ‘What’s that smell?’ you can say” “Something died in me!”
What You Didn’t Miss:
- The Spaceship Chicken sketch was…a thing. Not a good thing.
- The Zac Brown Band is not my kind of thing.
- The Movie Set sketch with Keenan as a former acting coach on The Jeffersons was better than the spaceship sketch, but I really only was laughing because Chris and Kate could barely hold it together during Keenan’s bits.
- I’m using this in real life now ↵